Translate

Friday, November 1, 2013

Parenting 101

Now that our relationship has withstood the test of a month and a little bit... how does a mother integrate her new man into her son's life?
It seems so complicated and yet it should be so simple and straightforward... he has been absolutely wonderful with Zach thus far, giving him kisses on his little forehead before dodo, sharing our bedtime stories, trying to calm him with me when he has an impatient outburst, etc. 
My tiny man has even begun imitating the newer love of my life - stretching his little arms in the air when running around naked before bath, just like my boyfriend does on a regular basis (minus the running around naked part of course!), or doing a miniature version of a two-step that my lover has done a few times around us, and trying to produce the same grimaces with his tongue and lips.
My son has even begun calling his new friend by name;  for example, first thing in the morning when his piercing brown eyes are still crusted with sleep, when my boyfriend is in the bathroom and needs some privacy, or when just playing around me and wanting some more attention - much to a mother's chagrin, he has now begun saying this novel name more than he recites those precious words every mother loves to hear, 'mama' and 'mommy'.
My lover still seems a bit reticent, however, and I am not sure how to encourage him to do more because Zach is, afterall, not his actual son...
I am sure that time, much like with anything else in life, is the answer to all of my queries, so I am attempting to let the two of them define their relationship on their own terms without any intervention on my part.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment